The 33rd annual Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour continues with a lineup of seven new award-winning films tonight at 7:30 p.m. in Campbell Hall.

This year, the 14 short films featured in the international extreme sport film festival centered on the theme of mountains. The Banff Centre in Alberta, Canada has produced the traveling film festival annually since 1976. After the premiere in Canada, a small selection of the top films go on tour, receiving approximately 500 screenings in 285 locations – including UCSB, where it has aired for the last 15 years.

Tonight’s line up includes, The Sharp End: Lisa Rand; Danzak; Journey to the Center, winner of the Best Film on Mountain Sport Award; Seasons, recipient of the Special Jury Selection Award and Papiroflexia, Committed 2: Grit Kids, winner of Best Film on Climbing Award.

A limited number of tickets are still available through Arts & Lectures. General admission tickets are priced at $12 while student and youth tickets can be purchased for $10.
According to the festival’s press release, the film festival features talent from diverse backgrounds and varying levels of cutting room experience.

“The Banff Mountain Film Festival is an international film competition featuring the world’s best footage on mountain subjects,” the press release read. “The films come from more than 35 countries and range from productions created by high school students to professional crews working with companies like BBC and National Geographic.”

Roman Baratiak, Associate Director of Arts & Lectures, said the event has always experienced widespread popularity on campus and has sold out nearly every year.

In her opening address to a sold out Campbell Hall last night, Banff host Charla Tomlinson told the audience there was only one thing they could expect from the films.

“You may see movies that people on the other side of the world have never seen,” Tomlinson said. “The only thing that will remain constant is that they are all about mountains.”