Sports writers are saying that Super Bowl XLIII is the greatest ever. My emotions rose and fell like a rollercoaster while watching the record 100-yard interception by a 245-pound linebacker returned for a touchdown. I jumped up and down when the underdog Cardinals set the record for Super Bowl fourth-quarter comeback. I was in awe of seeing the replay of the perfect pass and catch for the game-winning touchdown with 35 seconds remaining. It was fantastic.

But sex is better.

Not just the physical pleasure of sexual orgasms. Orgasms are great and I want all people to have mind-blowing, multicolored orgasms. But when sex has emotional connection, love, compassion, patience, harmony and desire to please another, it can all come together to bring a moment of intimacy and happiness to a relationship. It is fantastic. I hope that love and respect for one another is a major part of your sexual relationships.

In that spirit of respect and love, the Sex and Relationship Interns will be promoting Sexual Responsibility Week, Feb. 9 to 13 (that’s this week!). Here are some facts about sex at UCSB:

NOT everyone is having sex: According to the 2007 study*, 20 percent of UCSB students abstain from oral, anal and vaginal intercourse.

NOT everyone is having sex the first time they hook up: 40 percent* of UCSB students waited a month or longer to have vaginal intercourse.

UCSB and Isla Vista do NOT have the highest percentages of sexually transmitted infections: The American College Health Association Annual Pap Test and Sexually Transmitted Infection Survey of 2006 sampled 128 self-selected colleges, representing over two million college students. It reported 3.6 percent cases of chlamydia, the most common STI in college populations. UCSB’s Student Health reported approximately two percent cases of chlamydia. That’s right: UCSB had fewer reported cases of this most commonly contracted STI.

If this topic interests you, here are a few upcoming events you might enjoy:

You Love Me, You Love Me Not: Explore what it means to be in a healthy versus an unhealthy relationship. Presented by the UCSB’s Women’s Center, Rape Prevention Education Program and Alcohol & Drug Program.

Location: Santa Rosa Formal Lounge

Date: Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2009

Time: 8 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Winter Nights ’09: “Are UCSB Students Raging Out of Control with Their Sexuality?” An uncensored discussion with professors about current UCSB research featuring Professor John Baldwin.

Location: Faculty Club

Date: Wednesday, Feb. 11, 2009

Time: 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Bonus: Free food

*Data from the “Summary of the Sexual Behavior of Heterosexual UCSB Students” by Janice and John Baldwin, UCSB Department of Sociology.