Can the UCSB women’s basketball team make it ten wins in a row? It has that chance Wednesday night against Cal State Northridge, and the Gauchos certainly hope to capitalize.

UCSB has dominated opponents as of late, utilizing a lockdown defense to get through nearly half of the conference season unscathed. Santa Barbara has allowed opponents to shoot a paltry 34.1 percent from the floor this year, which is the seventh-best figure in all of Division 1 basketball.

That same defense shut down Big West-hopeful Pacific’s star player last week, as senior forward Amber Simmons was held to six points and two boards in the Gaucho romp. And while Northridge may not have the same firepower a player like Simmons provides, the Matadors do have one advantage that the Tigers did not: playing at home.

As good as the Gauchos have been at home this year — 10-1 over some hardy competition — the road has been far less kind. UCSB is 2-5 away from the confines of the corrugated fortress known as the Thunderdome, and may have trouble in Northridge. Then again, the two road wins UCSB possesses did come against Big West foes, and came during their current winning streak to boot.

Northridge is led by senior guards Whitney Ligon and Tonicia Tademy. Ligon, with 12.3 points per game, is the primary scorer for the Matadors, and gets most of her open looks from assist-guru Tademy, who averages an impressive 6.1 dimes per game.

The Gauchos, meanwhile, have been playing consistent team basketball on offense, getting double-digit scoring performances from numerous players just about every game. One player especially seems to have hit her stride as of late, as Jenna Green is playing some of her best basketball at this stage in the season.

At 7-0 in conference, UCSB is sitting pretty, but one loss could change that. Wednesday night marks the halfway point in the Big West season, and the Gauchos certainly are looking to keep the good times rolling. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. tonight in the Matadome in Northridge.