The UCSB swimming team will swim in their first dual meet of the New Year on Saturday at 1 p.m. against USC at the Trojans’ McDonald’s Swim Stadium.

The Gauchos have not competed since the weekend of Dec. 4 at the Husky Invitational in Washington, where the team posted seven new school records – six of which are also Big West conference records – on their way to third place for both the men’s and the women’s teams. The Gaucho men tallied 1,077.5 points while the women earned 1,130.5. The tournament hosted 10 programs. With 1,442 total points, Cal took the men’s side while USC clinched first place for the women’s side with 1,418 points.

Last season, the Gaucho men’s team beat the Trojans 148-57 in a dual meet. The win was the Gauchos’ first against the Trojans in the history of the program. The women, however, lost last season’s dual 109-94. In the Husky invitational, the Trojan women’s team came in first place with 1,418 points.

Gaucho Junior Anne Marie May was named the Big West Female Swimmer of the Week for Dec. 10 after breaking her own 50 and 100 freestyle UCSB and Big West Conference records at the Husky Invitational, posting a time of 21.96 in the 50 and a 48.83 in the 100. Along with senior Nadia Dwidar, junior Naomi Javanifard and junior Courtney Bauer, May also helped the Gauchos break an eight-year-old 200-medley relay record previously held by Nevada (1:31.12) with a time of 1:30.71. The team also broke UCSB’s old 400-medley relay record, with a time of 3:20.26.

Senior Chris Good broke his own school record by .27 in the 200 backstroke with a time of 1:46.42. He took fourth place in the event.

In dual meets, the Gaucho men’s team is 3-0 while the women are 4-1 after losing 161-84 to UCLA on Nov. 7 in Los Angeles. The Gaucho men’s team cracked the top 25 in the Oct. 31 rankings, but both the men’s and the women’s teams are listed as “others receiving votes” in the poll taken on Dec. 11, the men receiving 19 votes and the women receiving 18. The 2-0 Trojan women’s team is ranked ninth in the CSCAA Division I dual meet rankings released on Dec. 11, while the 3-0 Trojan men’s team ranks 21st.

After the match against USC, the Gauchos have three more meets against Davis, UNLV and Pacific before the Big West Championships on Feb. 25.