Correction: This article inaccurately stated that the English Dept. had created a nonprofit organization in Gosling’s honor. In fact the department is accepting donations to contribute to a Lompoc-based animal rescue organization. The Nexus regrets this error.

Susan Gosling, an Advising Specialist in the English Dept., died on Thanksgiving Day. She was 54.

Gosling and her longtime partner Diane McBurney, 69, were killed in a collision on Highway 246 while driving to Chumash Casino for a Thanksgiving buffet. Charges are currently pending against 21-year-old Angelica Arias, the driver of the sedan that collided into the side of Gosling and McBurney’s vehicle.

After graduating from Stephens College in Columbia, Missouri, Gosling worked in the broadcasting industry as a television writer and won two Peabody Awards for her stories about Jimmy Stewart and Acapulco cliff divers.

During her career at UCSB, Gosling served as an undergraduate advisor as well as a staff graduate advisor before becoming an Advising Specialist. According to English Dept. Chair Alan Liu, Gosling helped many students solve problems, plan curriculums and prepare for careers outside of college. Liu said her presence will be deeply missed in the department.

“It is a tragedy that is affecting our department greatly,” he said.

Following Gosling’s death, calls and emails streamed into the English Dept. from former students and colleagues, Liu said. In response, the department has organized a memorial service scheduled for Thursday, December 11 from 2:30 to 5:00 p.m. in South Hall 2635.

Additionally, the English Dept. is accepting donations to send to Lompoc-based non profit CAPA, an animal rescue organization. In an email, Instructional Program Assistant Shayna Ingram said the department picked CAPA because of Gosling’s love for animals.

“We believe that Susan and Dee would appreciate the gesture, since they were so fond of their three poodles and considered them family,” Ingram said.

The dept. has also started a blog – http://susangosling.wordpress.com/ – for friends and acquaintances to post their memories of Gosling.