The Santa Barbara Surfrider Chapter will co-sponsor a concert this Saturday to raise money for the foundation and its efforts to preserve the Gaviota Coast.

Surfrider and Bantara Event Media — a Santa Barbara based music company — organized the event, which they are calling the “Day of the Dead” show. The concert will feature the NEW DEAL and special guest DJ MEDI4 at Velvet Jones on State Street at 9 p.m.

In a statement, SB Surfrider Events Director Matt Wallace said the concert will benefit the group’s environmental efforts.

“We are excited to be joining up with Bantara on this ‘Day of the Dead’ show in an effort to keep our oceans from dying,” Wallace said.

The NEW DEAL, a Toronto based band, has played four previous shows in Santa Barbara and has released nine records in their 10-year career. The band has been dubbed “the Kraftwerk of the New Millennium” and plays a mixture of jazz, jam, and electronica. The band is also preparing for their upcoming tour of California.

DJ MEDI4 will be a special guest at the event. Based out of Los Angeles, DJ MEDI4 has performed at venues across the country, opening for artists ranging from The Meters to Drive By Truckers, Galactic and Spearhead.

The Santa Barbara Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation was established in 1992 and is an all-volunteer ocean and watershed environmental group.

Tickets to the concert cost $15 and are available either at the door or online at www.inticketing.com.
–Staff Report