The Santa Barbara Trolley Company will introduce a new tour today called “Haunted Santa Barbara” that promises to strike fear in skeptics and the paranormal-obsessed alike.

The 90-minute narrated tour runs nightly for the remainder of the month and uses a specially designated “Ghost Trolley” to shuttle its guests to several Santa Barbara historical sites.

The tour visits such places as El Presidio, De la Guerra Plaza, the Old Mission Cemetery, the Courthouse, the George Ogle House, Chumash burial grounds, the Lincoln House, the Lobero Theatre, the Covarrubias Adobe and many more local haunts.

There is a long history of ghost stories in the area, Santa Barbara Trolley manager Brent Restizo said.

“[According to community lore], the local Indians used to drown priests from the Mission in wash basins,” Restizo said. “And that’s just one example of the many killings in the area.”

The tour is professionally narrated and guided and offers interested guests the opportunity to get off and explore at three locations.

Each trolley is old-fashioned and designed to seat up to 31 adults. Tickets are $24 for adults and $14 for children 12 and under. The tour is not recommended for children under 10.

Tours leave nightly at 7 and 8:30 p.m. from Santa Barbara Trolley Company headquarters, located at 101 State St. The company recommends purchasing tickets in advance, either by calling the Santa Barbara Trolley Company at (805) 965-0353 or by visiting its Web site at www.sbtrolley.com.