I am writing in response to the article (“SB Sees Swell in Student Abuse of Prescription Pill,” Daily Nexus, May 20), which discussed the legal consequences of un-prescribed Adderall use. Although the author informed the reader there is the threat of being sent to the slammer for procrastination, it’s unfortunate the physical and social effects of illicit Adderall use were ignored. Shouldn’t the physical consequences be at least mentioned?

Most people are aware Adderall is a prescribed drug used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, but few know the potential side effects of using the drug recreationally. Adderall is a methylphenidate, packing some of the same deadly punch as cocaine. Physiological consequences of un-prescribed use are identical to the withdrawal symptoms in illegal stimulants, including exhaustion, depression, irritability, aggressiveness, heart failure, seizures, impotence and severe anxiety. Yes, heart failure, seizures, impotence and severe anxiety. You read correctly.

It is also important to note that many people with ADHD receive great benefits when taking Adderall as prescribed by their doctor. But, unfortunately, they have to put up with study-drug junkies. Not only is it unfair to constantly pressure these people into becoming temporary drug dealers during finals week, prescribed users are made to feel like abusers. They may have never told you, but ask them frankly, and you’ll find out: It is obnoxious to be pressured to give others the prescribed drugs that you need for managing day-to-day life. Stop it.

There are alternatives to illicit Adderall use! It’s a glorious drug called caffeine. Look out for our campaign next Tuesday and Wednesday. We will be handing out free study-aid drinks along with a load of other free cramming and de-stressing materials in front of the UCen. It’s important for students to know jail time isn’t the only consequence of illicit Adderall use, and to know there are safer and far better alternatives.