Whoever came up with the phrase, “One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor,” knew what he/she was talking about. Tequila is an evil alcoholic beverage and can get the best of you if you’re not careful. I had a tequila disaster about six years ago and have only recently been able to stomach it again in the form of margaritas, which go perfectly with the warm weekends. Who doesn’t like a refreshing margarita on a hot day? Saturday was that perfect day.

Break out the ice, the Jose, the margarita mix (I was too lazy to make it from scratch) and a drinking buddy or two, mix well and you have a good time… that is, until Sunday morning. Maybe it is just me, but when drinking tequila you never really know if you’ve had too much until things go south. It always hits you at once too, not like you are buzzed and morph your way into drunkenness; one minute you are sober and slam back a few large ones, and the next thing you know you are drunk and it’s all over. Margaritas always go down so smooth and cool, and when you have bottomless pitchers, by midnight things will spin. Spinning is the worst too, no matter what you do, it doesn’t stop and it gets worse when you lie down. You are hammered, and all you yearn for is your bed, but even there you have the spins like the vortex to hell. At a point of no return, I suggest forcing yourself to stay up as late as possible to keep that spinning at bay.

No one likes hangovers and, at least to me, a tequila hangover is the worst kind. If you are still drunk when you wake up, you know it’s going to be a bad day, and you hope that you don’t have to do shit. Clean-up is always a bitch too, since everything smells like tequila and the longer you are in there makes you want to run to the bathroom and end your misery. I like to keep Gatorade on hand because the horrid taste that tequila leaves in your mouth makes drinking plain water almost as sickening as drinking another margarita. No more margaritas for me for a while, I think next weekend will be a Piña Colada one.