1. Internationally-renowned tenor Salvatore Licitra is known for his skillful command of great works by Verdi, Puccini and more. See him performing live at the Granada on May 8. The concert, which features piano accompaniment by Warren Jones, starts at 8 p.m.

2. Award-winning photographer Joel Meyerowitz recently released a book entitled “Aftermath,” featuring full-color photographs of Ground Zero after the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center. Hear him speak about his work at Campbell Hall on May 12. The lecture starts at 8 p.m., and tickets are just $10 for UCSB students.

3. From the unparalleled filmmaking team of the Wachowski brothers comes another stylistic action flick, as “Speed Racer” drives into theaters on May 9. The film stars “Into The Wild” lead Emile Hirsch as the title character, and a scary skinny Christina Ricci as his love interest.

4. Emo-rock superstars Death Cab For Cutie are coming to the Santa Barbara Bowl this season, but first, the new album “Narrow Stairs” is coming to a record store near you on May 13. The album features 11 new tracks, including their latest single “I Will Possess Your Heart.”

5. Comedian Chelsea Handler is probably best known for her aptly named irreverent late-night talk show “Chelsea Lately” on E! But she can also write. Check out her bestselling new book of short stories, “Are You There Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea.”

6. Sorry boys – and girls. Ryan Reynolds and Scarlett Johansson are both off the market, having announced their engagement earlier this week. The 23-year-old actress and the 31-year-old Reynolds have not set a wedding date yet, but maybe Reynolds is just taking things slowly after his previous engagement to Canadian angst-rocker Alanis Morrisette.