1. Wangechi Mutu is a world-renowned visual artist, with strong literal and aesthetic roots in Kenya. Hear her unique perspective on her own provocative pieces, as she speaks in Campbell Hall on April 23. The lecture starts at 8 p.m., and admission is free.

2. “Control” documents the career and eventual demise of Joy Division’s Ian Curtis – a seminal figure in the post-punk scene. It has also been hailed as one of the recent high points in British film, and it’s screening at 7 and 10 p.m. in I.V. Theater on Friday.

3. Soothe the savage beast with Russian pianist and newly appointed faculty member Natasha Kislenko’s first solo concert at UCSB. The program will feature works by Rachmaninoff, Debussy, Chopin and Prokofiev, and it will take place in the Lotte Lehman Concert Hall at 8 p.m. on April 18. Admission is $7 for students.

4. Earlier this week, author J.K. Rowling testified in a New York courtoom to block the publication of Steven Vander Ark’s Harry Potter Lexicon, claiming that the encyclopedic guide to all things Potter infringes upon her copyrighted canon and is especially offensive since she, herself, is working on a similar tome at the moment. Now, it’s up to U.S. District Judge Robert Patterson, Jr. to spell out Vander Ark’s fate.

5. Happy birthday to Victoria “Posh” Beckham. The spicy singer turns 33 today. Here’s hoping someone gets her a cake – or at least a sandwich or something.

6. With a $22.7 million opening weekend, “Prom Night” took the crown as the best debuting horror movie of the year, and reigned well above all the other movies at the theater, with the number two film – “Street Kings” – coming in with a mere $12 million.