The University of California Board of Regents unanimously voted to appoint Mark G. Yudof as the next UC President on March 27.

Yudof was formally hired as the 19th president of the UC system on Thursday with an $828,084 annual compensation package, which includes a $591,084 base salary and $237,000 in additional pension payments. The new University head previously served as the University of Texas system chancellor, earning a package of approximately $790,000, and is also a legal scholar considered an expert on matters of constitutional law, freedom of expression and education law.

The appointment will become effective this summer when current UC President Robert C. Dynes steps down from the post after almost five years.

Yudof said in a statement released by the UC Office of the President his goals for his presidency include improving systemwide administration and promoting the university’s academic quality and student opportunities.

As well as holding the presidency, Yudof has received a faculty appointment in the Boalt Hall school of law at UC Berkeley.

Regent Richard C. Blum said in a statement he believes Yudof is an excellent choice as president of the UC system.

“These are challenging times for UC, financially and organizationally,” Blum said. “I have the utmost confidence in Mark’s ability to work with – and inspire – the entire UC family to further our University’s tradition of excellence in teaching and research as well as fulfilling our public service in shaping California’s future.”

In the press release, Yudof said he was honored to join the UC system as its leader.

“The University of California stands as a model for the world, creating tomorrow’s leaders and innovators and helping to solve many of society’s most pressing problems,” Yudof said. “I can think of no greater personal privilege than to have the opportunity to lead this remarkable institution.”

In further UC news, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger recently appointed Bonnie Reiss to the board of regents.