1. Congratulations to the Coen brothers for the four Oscars their film, “No Country For Old Men,” won. Artsweek would like to thank the Academy for recognizing a duo whose sheer genius is responsible for such gems as “The Big Lebowski,” “Fargo,” “Blood Simple” and, of course, the incredible “No Country.”
2. Looking to live a little without having to actually deal with real life? Check out “The Sims 2: Free Time,” by Electronic Arts. This new addition to The Sims family lets you enjoy some leisure time with your virtual alter ego, and it comes out on Feb. 27.
3. Will Smith, scary zombies and a cute puppy. What more could you ask for in a film? Check out “I Am Legend,” in I.V. Theater on Feb. 29. Screenings start at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m., and are just $4.
4. British artist Isaac Julien is world-renowned for his innovative film installations. Hear him speak about his work on Feb. 28, as the University Art Museum presents a lecture by Julien from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the McCune Conference Room.
5. Congratulations to J.Lo for her latest product launch – a pair of twins, one girl and one boy. Lopez gave birth to the twins early on Feb. 22 at a hospital in Long Island, with husband Marc Anthony at her side.
6. Photojournalist Marcus Bleasdale has been covering the Congo for almost 10 years, and now he’s coming to UCSB to share his stories. Hear him speak in Campbell Hall at 8 p.m. on March 3.
- Science & Tech
- On the Menu
- La Vista