Coming off a lopsided victory at conference-rival Cal State Fullerton, the UCSB women’s tennis team looks to extend its momentum into weekend match-ups against University of Texas at San-Antonio and #36 UC Irvine.

In their home opener, the Gauchos (1-1 overall, 1-0 in the Big West) match up evenly with a Roadrunner squad (2-3), which, contrary to its name, has not performed well on the road with a 0-3 record. UTSA recorded only one point in all three of its previous road matches.

“Right now they’re not ranked, and if a team isn’t ranked we feel like we should beat them,” Head Coach Pete Kirkwood said. “We’re not ranked either, but we hope to play like we are against everybody.”

UCSB boasts an impressive doubles lineup, which has not surrendered a match this season. Seniors Marta Simic and Charlotte Scatliffe will start at the #1 spot, while the duos of freshman Jill Damion and sophomore Asagi Onaga, and sophomore Tova Hausman and senior Brittany Kausen will start in the second and third slots respectively.

“In the past few years, we’ve really struggled to get that doubles point,” Scatliffe said. “To have all three teams playing well is pretty big. We were really pumped up about that after the win.”

On Sunday the Gauchos take on the Anteaters (1-3, 1-0 Big West), who despite their high national ranking, have had a rough time in their opening four matches, losing three times to USC, UCLA and LSU before finally beating #68 Cal Poly at home.

The Gauchos home opener begins at 11 a.m. this Saturday, while first serve at Irvine is scheduled for 1 p.m. Sunday afternoon.