With the singles game finally falling in its favor, the UCSB women’s tennis team blew out conference rival Cal State Fullerton 6-1 Friday afternoon in Fullerton. The Gauchos (1-1 overall, 1-0 in conference) routed the reeling Titans (0-6 overall, 0-3 in conference) by sweeping all three doubles games and only dropping one singles game.

“We figured we had a good shot at winning,” Head Coach Pete Kirkwood said. “We played well, executed well and took care of business.”

UCSB only allowed Fullerton to take six games combined in all three of the doubles games. Seniors Charlotte Scatliffe and Marta Simic dominated the Titan duo of freshman Karina Akhmedova and junior Shelly Injejikian 8-1 in top-seeded doubles. Freshman Jill Damion and sophomore Asagi Onaga struggled at times against sophomore Jerusha Cruz and freshmen Erin Wiesener in second-seeded doubles, but the Gauchos were able to come away with an 8-4 victory.

Sophomore Tova Hausman and senior Brittany Kausen capped off a successful doubles campaign with an 8-1 schooling of sophomore Brandy Andrews and junior Cheyenne Inglis in third-ranked doubles.

“We’re still playing really good doubles,” Kirkwood said. “We’re satisfied with going 6-0 in doubles in both matches this season.”

Unlike their previous match against Sacramento State, UCSB translated its doubles momentum into singles victories, as Simic handled Injejikian 6-3, 6-0 in top-seeded singles. The Fullerton junior was one of only two Titans to have won a singles game this season, so Head Coach Bill Reynolds moved her to the number one spot instead of her usual third spot.

Though Simic turned in a solid performance, the highlight of the match, according to Kirkwood, was the second-seeded match between team captain Scatliffe and the struggling Wiesener. Scatliffe, who had been battling flu-like symptoms leading up to the match, did not surrender a game to the freshmen in a 6-0, 6-0 shutout.

“I’d been sick the past couple of days, so I was very focused on not playing an extra point,” Scatliffe said. “Honestly, it was a tough match every single game, but I just won the big points and came out with the victory.”

Damion continued the Gauchos’ winning streak by emerging victorious from her first collegiate singles match against Cruz 6-4, 6-2 in third-seeded doubles, while Hausman put away Inglis 6-1, 6-3 in fourth-ranked singles.

UCSB’s only singles loss came at the hands of Andrews in sixth-seeded singles, as Kausen could not force a third set, losing 6-1, 7-6.

The Gauchos return home Saturday, Feb. 16 to host the University of Texas – San Antonio. First serve is set for 11 a.m. at the Rob Gym tennis courts.