Whether it was mandated by the Big West Conference or just thought up by a member of Cal Poly’s marketing staff, a rare event will take place tomorrow at Mott Gym in San Luis Obispo. The UCSB women (9-6 overall, 4-0 in the Big West) will take on Cal Poly (7-9, 4-0 Big West) at 4 p.m., followed by a 7 p.m. match up between the Gaucho men (13-4, 2-2 Big West) and their Mustang (6-10, 1-3 Big West) opponents.

“I can’t remember doing [a doubleheader] and I’m not sure why they are doing it, but it’ll be great for us to watch part of the women’s game,” UCSB men’s Head Coach Bob Williams said.

The men’s team is looking to get some revenge on a Mustang team that has the past three meetings between the two teams, including an 86-79 victory last year in San Luis Obispo. However, Cal Poly suffered heavy losses from last season, and the Gauchos are heavy favorites to get their first win at Cal Poly since 2005.

The game could also be a record-setting one for UCSB, as both senior guard Alex Harris and junior forward Chris Devine have an opportunity to reach landmarks. Harris needs just five points to pass Branduinn Fullove for the fifth spot on UCSB’s career scoring list, and just 14 points to pass Lucius Davis for the fourth spot. For comparison’s sake, Harris has scored fewer than 14 points only once this season. With a hot-shooting night, Harris could move all the way into third place, as he sits 28 points away from reaching Doug Rex. Devine, on the other hand, needs 18 points to become the 22nd Gaucho to reach the 1,000 point mark.

The UCSB women’s team is looking to win its sixth consecutive game, and if they can do so, they will hold soul possession of first place in the Big West standings. Regardless of the results, the day should be a fun one for fans of both schools, with at least one busload of UCSB faithfuls scheduled to make the trip to trade chants with a Mott Gym crowd that usually fills the house.

“It will show the support that each program has and they have a lot of fans and we have a lot of fans, so it’ll be fun to watch,” Harris said. “It’s going to be really cool, and I think it’s a really good idea.”