Surf, sand and the women of Tri Delta came together despite the cold yesterday to hang ten and raise money to benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

The fourth annual St. Jude’s Surf Off, which was held at Campus Point from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., was organized by Tri Delta sorority and partially financed by Associated Students Finance Board, which gave the group $4,400. In addition to the men’s and women’s surf competition, the event also featured a tug-of-war competition, a sand castle-building contest and a raffle featuring prizes such as a gift card to Starbucks and a Nordstrom gift basket valued at $300.

Tri Delta philanthropy chair Nicole Lokietz said the goal of the event was to raise $10,000 – double the amount that was raised last year. All of the proceeds were sent to the national Tri Delta chapter to benefit St. Jude’s, a research hospital in Tennessee that specializes in treating cancer in children, as well as other major pediatric diseases.

The efforts of the UCSB Tri Delta chapter are part of the larger national goal of the sorority to raise $10 million in 10 years. Lokietz, a fourth-year global studies major, said she considered the competition a success.

“We had a lot of involvement from the outside community, not only greeks and students, but also kids from the community,” she said.

Meanwhile, several dozen surfers participated in the event and were treated to free food from Tri Delta members. The competition consisted of male and female divisions, as well as divisions based on age groups and short and long board divisions.

Three judges scored competitors based on critical maneuvering ability, as well as size and length of the waves. Winners included first-year undeclared major Kristen Brady, who placed first in the women’s longboard final, and Joseph Yee, who placed first in the men’s final.

First-year business economics major Conor Macken competed in the surfing competition and said he thought the event was highly successful, despite the less than ideal surfing conditions.