“Heima” means “at home,” which is where Sigur Rós’ newest album, Hvarf-Heim, takes the listener. Through the use of various instrumentation including violins, cellos, piano and repeating synth lines, the album is a reflection of the bands’ homeland of Iceland.

The beauty and the elegance of the music on this album is something to be admired, and the instrumentation is a soothing combination of classical roots with a new and innovative sound. Hvarf-Heim is also well produced, although it mostly consists of studio versions of previously released songs and acoustic versions of some other songs, including “Ágætis Byrjun.”

However, the point of the album is not to introduce new music and instrumentation, but rather to bring the music back to their homeland.

The album does just that. The music is capable of taking the listener on a journey to a place that is a utopia. Perfect in every single way. The feeling of euphoria surrounds the listener, and one is immediately on cloud nine.

That perfect place is seen in the music trailer of the DVD “Heima” that is to be screened in 2008 across the country. This music trailer shows the band’s roots and homeland, providing insight into what inspired the music. With surreal scenes of waterfalls and the drastic landscape that shapes Iceland, the music provides the perfect soundtrack to accompany these images. If music were in visual form, Hvarf-Heim would be represented by these dreamlike images. A series of screenings have been set for “Heima” with a short acoustic set before each screening. More information about these screenings is available at http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk.