While the defense hung tough throughout the weekend, an inexperienced offense was unable to get anything going, leading to back-to-back road losses for the UCSB women’s soccer team.

Santa Barbara (3-5-2 overall) received a rough welcome to the Pacific Northwest this weekend, losing 3-0 to #18 Washington State (6-1-1) on Friday before falling 1-0 to Gonzaga (6-2-1) on Sunday. The Gauchos held the Bulldogs scoreless through 64 minutes, but a goal off a corner kick allowed Gonzaga to escape with a narrow home victory. UCSB threatened in the final minutes, but three Gauchos shots narrowly missed the net, keeping the team scoreless for the weekend. Freshman goalie Cassi Franklin suffered a tough loss in her first collegiate start, as the Gauchos were outshot 11-9.

Under typical rainy Washington weather, the Gauchos saw their four-match unbeaten streak snapped on Friday when the Cougars struck three times in the final 30 minutes. Sophomore Carly Dobratz scored twice for the Cougars, including the game-winner on a header in the 61st minute. The late-game fireworks were nothing new for Washington State, who have scored 12 of their 14 goals in the second half this season en route to the best start in school history.

UCSB returns home this weekend for a three-game homestand, beginning with the Big West opener on Friday night at Harder Stadium. The match, against Cal State Fullerton (6-3-1), will begin at 7 p.m.