The Chilla Vista festival will descend upon Isla Vista once again this Sunday, promising live music, food and good environmental karma to all who attend.

The “green” student-run festival will take over Anisq’ Oyo’ Park and People’s Park from noon to 8 p.m. this Sunday. To satisfy the event’s “green” goal, festival organizers claim the festival will aim to avoid leaving any garbage and use a minimal amount of electrical power.

Kat Parker, co-chair of Chilla Vista and fourth-year anthropology major, said the event seeks to unite Isla Vista.

“The point is to provide a really positive space for the whole community to come together and interact,” Parker said.

Nine bands, including Blue Turtle Seduction and local bands Ambidextrous and the Dance, are scheduled to perform on two stages powered by alternative fuels. With the help of solar power and biodiesel, Parker said the entire festival – which organizers expect to draw thousands – should serve as a zero waste event.

Other activities include an organic farmer’s market, interactive art sessions, cultural dance performances, health education and tabling by various community and campus organizations.

To promote “good karma” among festivalgoers, organizers will dole out their own form of currency, the “Scrilla.” Set aside for those who participate in booths and dispose of trash properly, festivalgoers can use “Scrilla” to obtain raffle tickets, massages, henna tattoos and organic food provided by the I.V. Food Co-op.

Parker said the event will also showcase art and photography submitted by individuals of the community, as well as games for children organized by the I.V. Teen Center.

According to Parker, the festival will also provide separate receptacles for different forms of trash.

“We are doing extensive recycling and composting so as much waste as possible will be diverted,” Parker said.

The event, which was originally developed as a project for the Education for Sustainable Living Program last year, is currently being overseen by the Office of Student Life. This year’s event will staff approximately 30 individuals, half of whom are volunteers.

While last year the Chilla Vista festival was funded by the I.V. Community Relations Council, this year’s funding was expanded to include support from the Associated Students Finance Board, A.S. Program Board, Isla Vista Recreation and Park District and the I.V. Community Relations Council. Parker said the festival should bring I.V. good cheer.

“Our big goal is really to make this a positive day, filled with community interaction,” Parker said. “It’s a very empowering kind of day.”