The UCSB women’s tennis team has improved its record, posting a 5-2 mark over spring break. The Gauchos (8-6 overall, 4-1 in the Big West), have won their past three games and are now tied with Long Beach State for second place in the Big West Conference, trailing only undefeated UC Irvine.

In Santa Barbara’s match against UC Riverside, victory was achieved with ease in a 7-0 rout. Two of the three doubles matches were won to gain the doubles point, but the one loss occurred for the Gauchos’ top ranked doubles pair, juniors Charlotte Scatliffe and Marta Simic who fell 6-8. Freshman Carina Bjornstrom won her match in three sets, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3. Wining three set matches was a point of emphasis for the Gauchos, as they had lost several in previous match-ups.

However, UCSB could not pull out a victory in its ensuing match against Fresno Pacific, losing 6-1. In doubles, Scatliffe and Simic were able to win at the #1 position, although neither of the other two doubles teams could pull off a victory. The single point won for the Gauchos was by sophomore Noelle Hirneise, who defeated sophomore Megan Hanner. The Sunbirds are ranked #2 and remain undefeated on the season.

After suffering the defeat, the Gauchos went on to win a close match against conference rival Cal Poly. Santa Barbara swept the doubles matches, an improved aspect of the squads’ game. The top three spots for Santa Barbara pulled out victories. Simic won 6-3, 6-4, Bjornstrom was victorious 6-2, 6-2, and Scatliffe prevailed 6-3, 6-3. Freshman Asagi Onaga narrowly lost her match 5-7, 6-7 (8-10), while freshman Tova Hausman played in her first game back from injury.

Once again, however, the Gauchos could not put together a winning streak, as they were pitted against #57 Nevada. The lone UCSB point was recorded by Scatliffe, who won at the #3 spot 1-6, 7-6 (10-8). Hausman won her second set 6-2 after losing the first 0-6, but could not win in the third. None of the other matches were close, and Nevada had a relatively easy win over Santa Barbara.

Nevertheless, Santa Barbara has won its past three matches, including a key win over conference rival Pacific. First, the squad swept Westmont 7-0 and won all of the doubles matches. In the singles matches, no Westmont player took more than three games in a single set.

The Gauchos won 5-2 on the road against UC Davis, winning each of the doubles matches in the process. The two matches’ dropped points were recorded by Scatliffe and Simic, both of which lost narrowly. Simic lost the first set 4-6, but won the second 6-0. However, she fell in the third set 2-6. Scatliffe was defeated 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (7).

Against Pacific, the Gauchos prevailed 6-1, with the only loss occurring for Scatliffe, who fell 3-6, 4-6. Most of the matches were close and UCSB narrowly won the doubles point. Scatliffe and Simic finished first with an 8-1 victory, but Bjornstrom and Onaga lost their match in the second doubles slot. The third doubles team for UCSB, Hauman and junior Brittany Kausen, won 9-7.