Calendar for 1/25/07

Thursday (1/25/07): Take advantage of a rare opportunity to see the works of painter, screenwriter, novelist, experimental video artist and filmmaker D.A. Metrov when the “Metrovspective” exhibit opens today at the Artamo Gallery in downtown Santa Barbara. The exhibit features paintings and experimental art videos by Metrov and more information about it is available at (805) 568-1400. The gallery is open from 1 to 6 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday, and the exhibit runs until February 4.

Friday (1/26/07): Want to check out a film from the Santa Barbara International Film Festival without paying big bucks for a pass? Go see the horror comedy “Severance” at I.V. Theater tonight. Brought to you by Magic Lantern Films and the folks behind SBIFF, tickets to this film about a group of salespeople facing off against blood-crazed war criminals during an otherwise routine office retreat are just $4. The film screens at 7 and 9:30 p.m.
Saturday (1/27/07): Grammy and Emmy award-winning violin virtuoso Itzhak Perlman plays at Campbell Hall tonight. With over a dozen albums to his name and a rŽsumŽ that includes appearances in everything from the film “Music of The Heart” to the television classic “Sesame Street,” Perlman is a world-renowned master of his art. Check him out at 4 p.m. today for just $25 thanks to Arts & Lectures.

Sunday (1/28/07): Spend your Sunday night with some stand-up comedians, as Julie Dove, Justin Worsham and Brian Farrell perform at Zoey’s CafŽ in Ventura. This night of comedy starts at 7:30 p.m. and more information is available by calling (805) 652-1137.

Monday (1/29/07): Fuck authority. Or just check out punk rock gods Pennywise, the Circle Jerks, Ignite and Blacklist Royals at the House of Blues Sunset Strip tonight. Tickets are $20 and the door opens at 7 p.m. For more information call (323) 848-5100.

Tuesday (1/30/07): Take a trip to Hawaii – or as close as you can get to Hawaii without leaving county lines – tonight, with a concert by world-renowned Hawaiian slack key guitarist Makana at SOhO on State Street. The all-ages show starts at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are just $12, with all the proceeds going toward the Surfrider Foundation’s Santa Barbara chapter.

Wednesday (1/31/07): Check out Dis/Ability: An Evening of Film Shorts at the UCSB Multicultural Center Theater tonight. This program of film shorts showcases the talents of people living with severe developmental disabilities and will be followed by a discussion of the issues presented in the films. The event starts at 6 p.m.