Singer-songwriter Matt Costa is bringing his catchy acoustic rhythms and vocal harmonies to the Hub on Wednesday. His debut album, Songs We Sing, is a refreshing blend of bluegrass, folk and pop, with foot-tapping melodies that are easy to fall in love with.

A Huntington Beach native, Costa got his first guitar when he was 12, and then set it aside to put his energy into pro-skateboarding. If his leg hadn’t been shattered in a skating accident, he may have never begun his music career. During his 18 months of recovery, Costa re-directed his passion and ingenuity into learning how to play the guitar, capturing his simple tunes on a 4-track tape-recorder. His homemade demo tape circulated among friends and locals, eventually reaching No Doubt guitarist Tom Dumont. Dumont recognized Costa’s talent and helped him to record his self-titled EP. Phil Ek, who previously worked with Modest Mouse and The Shins, polished the album, which evolved into Songs We Sing.

Costa opened for Jack Johnson’s summer tour in 2005 and collaborated with him to create the song “Lullaby” for the Curious George Soundtrack. At the age of 23, he has worked with Pinback, Built to Spill, Gomez and a range of other artists.

Using an acoustic guitar, harmonica and harpsichord, Costa creates uniquely heartfelt compositions. With his honest lyrics and charming tunes, this brown-eyed songwriter effortlessly draws us into his world, leaving us hungry for more.

Matt Costa is playing on Nov. 15 at the Hub with special guests The Watson Twins – who are known for their work with Jenny Lewis of Rilo Kiley. Tickets are $13 pre-sale and $15 at the door.