Calendar for the week of 11/9

Thursday (November 9): Arts & Lectures presents “Children of a Vanished World” – a two-part multimedia performance featuring photos, music and a light opera, all of which chronicle the stories of young people affected by the Holocaust. The show starts at 8 p.m. in Campbell Hall and tickets are $8 for students.

Friday (November 10): Get tied up at the James Joyce tonight, as Lady Blue – the artist known as “the dominatrix of the blues” – performs her signature style of vintage blues and jazz with a contemporary twist. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. and more information is available at www.thejamesjoyce.com.

Saturday (November 11): Rhymefest, Chi-town’s Grammy Award-winning rapper and the co-writer of Kanye West’s “Jesus Walks,” will heat things up at Velvet Jones tonight. The show starts at 8 and more information is available at (805) 965-8676.

Sunday (November 12): Welsh hardcore rockers Lostprophets will take the stage at the Roxy on Sunset Boulevard in L.A. tonight. The show starts at 8 and other bands on the bill include Take the Crown and The Transit War.

Monday (November 13): Seize the day and go check out the Sullivan Goss Gallery’s Fall Salon of Major American Paintings before it closes at the end of November. The ongoing exhibition of works by artists, including Robert Henri, Thomas McGlynn and Colin Campbell Cooper, is open from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. More information is available at (805) 730-1460.

Tuesday (November 14): Silent film star Louise Brooks as a charismatic bad girl whose sexual prowess causes the downfall of any man unlucky enough to cross her path and a killer live piano accompaniment make “Pandora’s Box” worth checking out tonight. The film is presented by Arts & Lectures, so tickets are a reasonable $8 for UCSB students.

Wednesday (November 15): Take on Kenyan novelist, playwright and poet and add one exiled Nigerian author and what do you get? A fascinating – and free – discussion by Ngugi wa Thiong’o and Chris Abani will be held at the Victoria Hall Theater tonight. The discussion starts at 8 and more information is available at (805) 730-1038.