While the weather stays in our favor, fall runways cater to customers in need of heavy jackets, leaving Southern Californians to fend for themselves in the fashion world.

However, I urge you not to be discouraged. All it takes to successfully translate trends is the willingness to try new things and a dash of imagination. Fortunately, most of the most popular fall looks are easily convertible for warm weather patrons, which will keep you looking chic from head to toe.

Starting from the top, big, vintagey sunglasses are still in, but like most clothes shown recently, they are much more structured than in years past. If your outfit screams “modern” and you’re looking for a fun, retro twist to change the tone, then check out the Ray Ban Wayfarer shades, made famous by Tom Cruise in “Risky Business.”

Impossible to ignore this season is the love-to-hate print of choice: plaid! Plaid is not as hard or as scary as it looks, and I really do urge you to love it. This season, it dominated the runways in all forms, from exquisite coats to modernized school skirts to simply serving as a bold accent piece. It has proven its versatility in both color and proportion, making it a feasible option for everyone. If you’re not ready to don a tartan jumper, have a go at something less obvious but just as fashion-forward, like a plaid chiffon scarf or a lumberjack flannel shirt.

What to wear with plaid, you ask? Never fear, leggings are here! Though Santa Barbara caught on early with this trend as it gained popularity last spring, leggings are continuing to re-establish their status as a fashion staple in everyone’s closet this fall. Comfortable and slimming, leggings can be worn under just about anything, but instead of repeating the old under-the-denim-miniskirt trick, try them under a tunic top or shorts when the weather is disagreeable.

If leggings aren’t your style, skinny jeans are another option to try. Whether you like it or not, they are the hot-to-trot item this fall. Once deemed acceptable only for certain body types, denim labels all over the world are working to make them look good on just about everyone. Similar to leggings, skinny jeans offer the same slimming look but provide more coverage and can easily be dressed up with heels for a night out. LF Santa Barbara is exclusively carrying Furst premium denim skinny jeans that fit amazingly well and look great with flats or heels.

Footwear this year is still focused on the comfort brought forth by flats a few seasons back, but with the colder weather comes a heavier and more durable feel by way of boots. No longer relegated to pointy-toed stilettos that turn off the circulation in your calves, designers are showing roomier boots with square or round toes in all heights of heels. For optimal comfort, try Sigerson Morrison’s Napa Nero Flat Boot, conveniently sold by Blue Bee.

If taking the time to put together an outfit isn’t in the cards, there is still a way to make you feel stylish – nothing brings a “blah” outfit to life better than a larger-than-life handbag. This season, hefty leather bags in deep, rich shades with touches of hardware compliment anything from a T-shirt and jeans to a great skirt and jacket. Increase your bag’s usefulness by doubling it as a school tote for books, Anna Corinna’s City Tote is a great option that can be found online at www.ActiveEndeavors.com.

There are so many options for the fall… take these suggestions in stride and have fun feeling like you’re Carrie Bradshaw, seamlessly walking off the pages of Vogue. Go ahead, take risks – you’ll feel fabulous.

Caroline Wolf is an undeclared sophomore.