The rumors streaming through campus have been confirmed: former President Bill Clinton arrives next week to speak at an event for UCSB’s year-old Orfalea Center for Global and International Studies.

According to a few UCSB employees who wish to remain anonymous, the Orfalea Family Foundation helped organize the event, more information for which will be released today. The UCSB employees confirmed that it would be a prominent speaker, but could not comment on Monday because the parties involved were still discussing the details of the event.

According to the course syllabus for Global 120: Global Ideologies and World Order, Clinton will speak at the Arlington Theatre, located on State Street, on Oct. 13. Global studies professor Mark Juergensmeyer, who teaches the Global 120 class, is the director of the new Orfalea Center.

The Office of Public Affairs will release more information today, the UCSB employees said. Free tickets will be made available to students at the Associated Students Ticket Office shortly after the information is released to the public.

The Orfalea Center for Global and International Studies, which opened last school year, was funded in part by Paul Orfaela, Kinko’s creator, and the Orfalea Family Foundation. The center financially supports and helps coordinate public programs, seminars, publications and research planning in global, international and area studies for the university.

The center also funded the new Global and International Studies Master of Arts graduate program.
– Daily Nexus staff report