Calendar for the week of 9/28

Thursday (9/28): Stressed from the first day of classes? Take your mind off it with some good old-fashioned schmoozing at the University Art Museum. The museum is celebrating the opening of its “Mythic Visions: Yarn Paintings of a Huichol Shaman” Native American art exhibition as well as its new exhibition of Salvador Dali’s illustrations of scenes from Dante Aligheri’s “The Divine Comedy,” with a free reception tonight. If you’re in the mood for some music, check out I.V. darlings Rebelution as they perform with Del Tha Funkee Homosapien at Velvet Jones on State Street. The show starts at 10 p.m.

Friday (9/29): Straight-edge hardcore heavy hitters BOLD come to Casa de la Raza in downtown Santa Barbara tonight, along with Internal Affairs, Lights Out, Hit the Deck, Triple Threat and Bad Reaction. The all ages show starts at 7 p.m. and tickets are just 10 bucks. Check out www.myspace.com/santabarbarashows for more information.

Saturday (9/30): Looking for a hella good time? Check out NorCal rapper Keak da Sneak, as he takes the stage in Storke Plaza for a free concert tonight. The show starts at 9 p.m. and is brought to you by the fine folks at Associated Students Program Board.

Sunday (10/1): Love literature? Go see bestselling author John Berendt, as he speaks in Victoria Hall Theatre tonight. The man who wrote Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and The City of Falling Angels starts his lecture at 3 p.m. and tickets to the event are just $8 for UCSB students.

Monday (10/2): Soul sisters Lavie and Mahalia are bringing their unique brand of pop, jazz and soul to the SoHo Restaurant & Music Club at 1221 State St. tonight. The all ages show starts at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are only $7.

Tuesday (10/3): Pasadena’s pop-punk scenesters, Ozma, take a detour before their big tour with Hellogoodbye to play a quick show at the Troubadour in Los Angeles tonight. The show starts at 8 p.m. and also features Satisfaction, El Ten Eleven and Acute. Tickets are $13 if you buy them in advance and $15 if you procrastinate until the day of the show.

Wednesday (10/4): If you like Ella Fitzgerald and Norah Jones, then you have to see Madeleine Peyroux perform at Campbell Hall tonight. The sultry singer takes the stage at 8 and tickets for the event, which is brought to you by Arts & Lectures, are $19 for UCSB students.