“X-Men: The Last Stand” might as well have been titled “X-Man” or better yet, “Wolverine,” because this movie is basically just about Wolverine (Hugh Jackman). Although this may seem like a good thing, it is not. There could have been so much more to this movie if director Brett Ratner had decided to include some plot in it.

The entire gist of the movie can be summed up in three short sentences. Humans do not like mutants because they are different, so they make a cure for the mutants. Magneto (Ian McKellen) says no to that. Then Wolverine goes “Rawr!” and attacks people.

If the above sentences seem disorganized and lacking transitions, that is because I wanted to evoke what it felt like to sit through the entire film. It really felt like Ratner had no idea what to do with this movie, and it seemed like he went about it as though it were a homework project for school. After watching “X-Men,” I can see Ratner fumbling around with the writers on the movie for a few days and then just deciding to say “Screw it. Let’s just have everyone die.”

I knew going into “X-Men” that, in this movie, some people would have to die, but the writers could have at least given them a dignified death. For example, when Cyclops (James Marsden) returns to Alkali Lake, where Dr. Jean Grey (Famke Janssen) was believed to have been killed in the previous movie. He then sees Jean, kisses her, and basically he looks shocked and possibly dies. Honestly, I cannot be more descriptive than that, because that is all the director gives us. I do not even know if he really died or not, just that he looked shocked and it seemed like he could be dead. There are other deaths in “X-Men” that are slightly more interesting, but not interesting enough to be worth spoiling the film.

The film did have its positive qualities, though. The special effects were very interesting and it was nice to see some relatively new characters come into play, like Beast (Kelsey Grammer). The only complaint I have with the extra mutants is the fact that in the final battle scene, there are at least 50 “level one” mutants. What were their special powers? Well, about five of them can jump really, really high. I forgot about the other characters’ less-than-memorable special powers and it seems like Ratner did too.

In the end, Ratner brought very few good things to this movie. Predictable characters, the deaths of half of the more beloved and important characters, and Storm gets a haircut, which Ratner is quick to focus on throughout the film.

At the very least, this movie was entertaining and I would definitely recommend it for a rental. Die-hard X-Men fans that do not want this film to ruin their beloved comic book franchise should avoid this movie. Then again, most die-hard X-Men fans have probably already seen it. For those people who have not seen it yet, I have been told that there is an extra scene after the credits. I heard about this before I saw the film, but my desire to get as far away from “X-Men” as possible drove me to run away from the theater before the extra scene came on. Unless the extra scene features Ratner apologizing, and then promptly being kicked in the crotch by Stan Lee, I do not care what else he could possibly say about “X-Men.”