Seniors looking to party in Isla Vista’s parks after graduation are running out of time to reserve their spots, as the IVRPD has already begun doling out park rental permits for commencement weekend.

Every year, the Isla Vista Recreation and Park District makes all of I.V.’s parks available for students who want to throw graduation parties. IVRPD Board Secretary Enid Osborn, who oversees park rentals, said reservations for parks often fill up quickly. Osborn said she does not know exactly how many parks are already reserved, but several students have already begun the process of renting the parks for graduation weekend.

Park rental permits are available at the IVRPD office, located at 961 Embarcadero del Mar.

Last year, all of Isla Vista’s parks were reserved several weeks prior to the commencement weekend. Because the application process takes awhile to complete, Osborn said she recommends interested students begin the rental process early.

“Reservations are [made] on a first come, first serve basis, and we do run out of space,” Osborn said.

People interested in serving alcohol in the parks must also obtain a $10 alcohol permit from the IVRPD office, Osborn said. According to the IVRPD Park Use Permit, no kegs are allowed in district or county parks. The permit signer is responsible for maintaining the rules outlined in the permit

Osborn said most of I.V.’s parks have limits on the number of people they can accommodate, and many of the county’s parks will house more than one graduation party at once. County-owned parks, such as Sea Lookout Park and Volleyball Park, have a maximum capacity of 75 people, she said, and people coordinating parties in those parks should speak to each other beforehand so they do not exceed each area’s maximum occupancy.

Some students said they intend to celebrate after graduation, but said they have not decided how or where they will do so.

Senior environmental studies major Joe Hardeman said he is not even sure he wants to celebrate graduation in I.V.
“I’m probably gonna rage super hard in I.V. or [downtown],” Hardeman said. “Then I’m going on a ‘license to chill’ retreat with a bunch of my bros to Cabo.”