Over 200 people are expected to turn out on the grass in Anisq’ Oyo’ Park this weekend to listen to music and learn about the peace movement at UCSB during the Isla Vista Peace Festival concert.

The teach-in segment of the peace festival took place on March 11, but due to rain, the concert portion of the event was rescheduled to take place from noon to 5 p.m. this Saturday. The concert is co-sponsored by KCSB 91.9 FM, campus group Solidarity Against War and the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation. According to the event’s website, www.ivpeacefest.com, the festival will feature live music, a raffle, speakers, arts and crafts and informational booths encouraging students to get involved with the peace movement on campus. Performers at the concert, which will take place at an alternate indoor location if it rains again, include BIXBY, Iration, Crosby Loggins & the Leadbirds and Rebelution.

The event will also feature an auction for items such as a Nintendo GameCube and an Enjoi skateboard, as well as a raffle with prizes like T-shirts and gift certificates for I.V. businesses. In addition, the person that invites the most people to the festival via e-mail will receive a new acoustic Epiphone guitar during the event, according to the website.

Senior communication major Amy Mackreth, a member of Solidarity Against War, said the concert is an opportunity for local activists to inform students about the war in Iraq and the possibility of American military action against Iran.

“It’s something that’s always in the back of students’ minds, and our booths will create an awareness to get people invested in the issues,” Mackreth said. “We’re throwing a party with a purpose.”

Heather Buchheim, a senior political science major who works at KCSB, said the radio station always supports local bands and will be setting up a table at the concert.

“It’s a great opportunity for students who couldn’t make it to Coachella to enjoy some free music in the park while becoming active in the peace movement on campus,” Buchheim said. “It’s going to be a fun event, so hopefully it doesn’t rain again.”

Will Parrish, youth empowerment coordinator for NAPF, said his organization hopes the event will help convince students to take a stand against the University of California’s involvement with Los Alamos National Laboratory, which conducts nuclear weapons research.

“We want our [UC] Regents to take a public stand based on the fact that they disagree with U.S. nuclear weapons policy,” Parrish said.

Parrish said he thinks student opposition to the University’s stewardship of the lab could convince the UC Regents to take action.

“Students have a greater influence then any other group of people on what their university does,” Parrish said. “When students mobilize on a grassroots level they can be extremely powerful in influencing the decision makers of the UC.”

NAPF is also working to get the U.S. to adopt a “No More Nuclear Excuses for War” policy that would eliminate the government’s ability to go to war over other countries’ possible possession of nuclear weapons, Parrish said. He said he thinks America should focus more on its own nuclear weapons policies, instead.

“The United States spends more money on nuclear weapons then any other country” Parrish said. “We need to lead by demonstration.”