The UCSB softball team is doing a little bit of retooling heading into its second series of the Big West season, as it hosts Pacific this weekend.

Santa Barbara started off conference play last weekend, going 1-2 at Cal State Fullerton, marking the first time in 14 years that the Gauchos have won a game on the Titans’ diamond. However, despite winning the series opener and pushing game two of Saturday’s twin bill to 10 innings, Fullerton was too much for UCSB to handle. Santa Barbara did well statistically at the plate, scoring 12 runs off of 21 hits and 12 RBIs with four homers, but line drives hit at the Titans did not make for victories.

“I felt like our offensive power was real good this past weekend – where’d I like it to be,” UCSB Head Coach Kristy Schroeder said. “Defensively, we started off strong and let a couple small things affect us. … Hopefully things will come together this weekend.”

Junior pitcher Jenn Davis did the majority of UCSB’s work in the circle last weekend, with freshman Tami Weston contributing as well. On March 30, Davis and West were given even more responsibility with the departure of junior transfer southpaw Ginger Gutierrez due to ineligibility. Gutierrez’s exit leaves the Gauchos with just two pitchers on the roster. Of all the pitchers, though, Davis has seen the most innings during her three years at Santa Barbara.

“Tami and Jenn [will] carry the load; they’re very capable,” Schroeder said. “There’s a lot of teams that pitch only one pitcher, especially when it comes down to conference or postseason; it’s not uncommon. We’ve been lucky enough to have the depth, but things haven’t worked out that way. … I think we have enough to do what we need to do.”

Last season, Pacific took fourth place in the Big West, ahead of the fifth-place Gauchos, and has a 19-14 record coming into the series.

The Tigers have a young pitching staff, with sophomore Alyce Jorgenson leading Pacific with a 2.45 ERA in 40 innings and freshman Chelsea Engle nipping at her heels with 2.50 ERA through 61.2 innings pitched.

“Pacific’s strong,” Schroeder said. “They have good bats and play solid defense. They’re a strong squad, not as strong as Fullerton … [but] they’re one of the teams to beat in our conference – we have to come out and play every game.”

First pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m. Saturday at Campus Diamond.