The weekend rain reeked havoc on Campus Diamond and on UCSB’s Softball by the Beach Tournament, washing away the better part of the weekend’s games. Instead of the five they were slated to play, the Gauchos snuck in two games in between storms and defeated San Diego State on Friday 3-2 and Rider University on Saturday 2-0.

“We were disappointed that we didn’t get to play the last day and all the games that we were supposed to play,” junior right-hand pitcher Jennifer Davis said. “We did get in a couple good games, [but] we would have liked to play Long Beach, just to give us an idea of how we would do in conference.”

Steady rain caused the game to be called in the second inning and it was postponed for three hours when the Aztecs got on the board first, scoring two runs in the top of the third. Santa Barbara responded in its half of the inning when freshman second baseman Christine Ramos plated sophomore designated player Danielle Meyers, who reached with a double to right field.

Freshman first baseman Tiffany Wright tied the game in the sixth with a sacrifice fly to bring around Ramos. With two outs in the bottom of the seventh, sophomore catcher Ericka Hansoen put the Gauchos over the top with an RBI single that scored Davis. Davis improved to 4-1 with the victory, giving up two runs on six hits and striking out seven.

“I felt a lot more comfortable than I did in our first weekend out,” Davis said. “I felt more in control. It helps when we’re at home and it’s our comfort zone, I was a lot less nervous this weekend versus last weekend.”

Although originally slated to play Long Beach State on Saturday morning, the rain changed the schedule so UCSB instead took on Rider University in their only game on Saturday. The Gauchos got things started right off the bat with leadoff hitter Ramos slapping the first pitch she saw from senior pitcher Heather Beintema into right field for a triple. Junior center fielder Kendra Singley brought her around with a single to right to score the first run of the game. Pitchers freshman Tami Weston and junior Ginger Gutierrez tag teamed the pitching and held the Broncs to just four hits with Weston getting the win after pitching four innings. Singley padded the game for Santa Barbara with a home run to right in the bottom of the fifth.

“The win against San Diego was a good win for us. They’re a really good team – they barely lost to UCLA – so that was definitely a good win for us,” Davis said “I think we could have beat [Rider] by more, but its’ a win so that’s good.”

Thunderstorms on Saturday night canceled all of Sunday’s games, bringing the tournament to a close. The Gauchos travel to Palm Springs to compete in the Palm Springs Invitational this weekend.