As conventional wisdom would suggest, one must hold onto the ball in order to score the ball.

Despite putting on an offensive display in an exhibition match against Bakersfield, the UCSB women’s basketball team dropped a 74-72 decision, largely in part due to a mind-boggling 34 turnovers.

Santa Barbara came out firing on all cylinders, shooting over 50 percent in the first half, but still managed to turn the ball over 21 times, opening the window of opportunity for CSUB, a division II squad, to pull off the unlikely.

Sophomore forward/center Jenna Green scored with just over a minute left, cutting the Gauchos deficit to just 74-72. Both teams traded misses over the last minute, leaving the Roadrunners with an inbound underneath UCSB’s basket with only 2.1 seconds left. Freshman guard Whitney Warren stole the inbound pass, but it was knocked out of her grip before even attempting a potentially game-tying shot.

Leading Santa Barbara in the loss was sophomore guard Jessica Wilson, logging 15 points. Three other Gauchos scored in double figures, including Green with 11 and senior guard Karena Bonds and freshman forward Shantel Thomas each logged 10 apiece.

UCSB both out-shot and out-rebounded Bakersfield 41.9 percent to 35.3 percent and 54 to 43, respectively.

The Gauchos will have plenty of time to fine-tune their prolific, but turnover-prone offense, while being idle until their regular season-opener November 18th. They will be in for a world of difference compared to their division II opponents, as they will take on defending national runner-up Michigan State.