On Sunday, students trying to juggle school, work and social activism can learn a thing or two from the life of a longtime Isla Vista resident.

The Charlie Jones Effect, a festival commemorating the life of Charlie Jones – a prominent local activist and juggling enthusiast who died on Aug. 17 at the age of 58 – will take place from 1 p.m. until dusk in Anisq’ Oyo’ Park. Festivities at the event, which is free and open to the public, will include juggling demonstrations, live music and dancing, a magician and an auction of Jones’ belongings benefiting local charities. During the festival, there will also be an opportunity for members of the community to share their memories of Jones, said Jeff Walsh, one of the event’s coordinators and Jones’ longtime friend.

“I think that people will be moved to speak, as well as listen, to others,” Walsh said. “This is going to be an interesting way to learn about Isla Vista because Charlie was an integral part of I.V. and its past.”

The Isla Vista Recreation and Park District (IVRPD) is co-sponsoring the event along with some of Jones’ friends, including Walsh, IVRPD Director Diane Conn said. She said Jones moved to I.V. in 1972 and immediately began campaigning in favor of an open-space bond that allowed the IVRPD to purchase the land for what is now Trigo-Pasado Park, Sue