One man is dead and three people were left hospitalized following a three-car collision involving an allegedly drunk driver on Highway 101 early yesterday morning.

Manuel Urvina-Javier, a 22-year-old Santa Barbara resident, was allegedly under the influence of alcohol when he drove southbound in the northbound lane of Hwy. 101, near El Capitan State Beach at approximately 1:00 a.m. Monday. Officer Donald Clotworthy, spokesman for the Santa Barbara office of the California Highway Patrol, said Urvina-Javier collided head-on with a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse driving northbound on the freeway, causing both cars to spin out of control. Following the initial accident, Urvina-Javier’s vehicle came to rest in the left lane of the freeway with its headlights off, where it was then struck by a 2004 Honda Accord driven by Buellton resident Steven Macias. Macias’ car flipped over several times before coming to rest on its roof. Clotworthy said officers pronounced Macias, who was 27 years old, dead at the scene, while the other people involved in the accident were treated for various injuries at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.

Urvina-Javier, whom officers later determined was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the accident, was treated for a broken left arm, cuts and abrasions. He was arrested at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital and is being charged with felony DUI, felony manslaughter and driving without a license.

Macias’ wife, 33-year-old Alejandra Macias, was traveling in the passenger seat of the Honda. Clotworthy said she was transported to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital and treated for a broken left clavicle, broken ribs, cuts and abrasions.

Forty-nine-year-old Arroyo Grande resident Wei Lu, who was driving the Eclipse, and his wife Xuehua Shen were also taken to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, Clotworthy said. Shen, who is 46 years old, suffered from blunt-force trauma and internal injuries and is currently listed under critical condition in the intensive care unit. Lu was treated for cuts and abrasions and is in stable condition.

Due to the accident, Clotworthy said, officers closed the northbound lanes of Hwy. 101 for cleanup and investigation. CHP Officer Marty Sanchez is currently investigating the accident.