Editor, Daily Nexus,

This letter is in response to the article published Tuesday, Oct. 18, in the Daily Nexus titled, “List of Local Hate-Free Places Excludes UCSB.” UCSB was not recognized by the Anti-Defamation League because we haven’t yet participated in their campaign, but that doesn’t mean that this campus or the students in our community are not actively involved in fighting against hate. In fact, on the night of Sunday, Oct. 16, I was an invited participant in an excellent event organized by several resident assistants from San Miguel and San Nicolas Halls. The event, called “Not In Our Hall,” was attended by close to a hundred students who came together to talk about hate and intolerance and what students in the residence halls, and on campus in general, can do to take an active stand against hateful actions based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexuality, or ability. I was impressed by the proactive nature of the event and by the intelligent and thoughtful discussion among the students. At the end of the event, participants had the opportunity to voluntarily sign a pledge to “take a stand against any and all hateful actions.” The fact that this event took place as a result of the hard work of UCSB students, and outside of an established structure, makes it even more noteworthy. Would an official “hate-free” designation guarantee that UCSB or any other institution will be free of intolerance? I’m not sure. But I do know that a committed group of students like the ones I met on Sunday night make a difference and deserve to be recognized for their efforts.