A 21-year-old UCSB student was killed in a fatal traffic collision Friday afternoon, marking the second time in two weeks that a motorcycle accident has claimed the life of a local student.

Manuel Stahl, a senior philosophy major, died at approximately 4:10 p.m. Friday when the motorcycle he was driving drifted into the left-hand lane and crashed into the rear of a black Honda Civic, according to a California Highway Patrol press release.

Stahl, who was traveling heading eastbound on Highway 101 at an unknown rate of speed near the West Valley area of Los Angeles, was thrown from the motorcycle and landed in front of the rear wheels of a Ford F450 pickup. The Ford struck Stahl, resulting in extensive head trauma, and paramedics from the Los Angeles Fire Dept. pronounced the man dead at the scene at 4:50 p.m.

The press release stated that the CHP currently has no information about what caused Stahl’s motorcycle — which was straddling two lanes as he attempted to pass slower traffic — to collide with the Honda.

The Honda Civic and the Ford F450 are registered to unidentified drivers from Covina and Fountain Valley, respectively, the press release stated. No one else was injured in the collision, which comes on the heels of the death of George Kalev, the UCSB student who was killed in a motorcycle accident off Highway 33 on Oct. 8.