CALENDAR FOR 9/22/05

THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 22: First day back got you all stressed out and nervous? Feel like you already need a vacation? Well, tonight Arts & Lectures offers up the next best thing. At 7:30, Arts & Lectures will be screening the visually stunning “Deep Blue.” The documentary boasts over 80 minutes of dazzling deep-sea footage the likes of which we’ve never seen before. It’s just like scuba diving minus the water and silly suit. Tickets are $5 for students and the show takes place in Campbell Hall.

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 23: Marking what will hopefully be the start of an amazing year, The Biko House brings some much needed entertainment to the streets of Isla Vista tonight at 9. The acts slated to perform read like a Who’s Who of the L.A. music scene and all promise to bring the rock, along with a healthy portion of ass-shakin’ goodness. Boasting bands like Vagenius, Dirty Little Secret and local favorites, Kissing Tigers, we could not be more pumped about this show. The Biko House is located at 6612 Sueno Rd. It’s only five bucks, so don’t miss out.

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 24: Never one to be outdone, A.S. Program Board is bringing pop punksters Sugarcult to campus tonight for a good ol’ fashioned free show in Storke Plaza. The mayhem starts at 9 p.m. and we here at Artsweek are reminding you that plaza concrete is pretty unforgiving, so keep it safe. Pack your sweaters and get there early, kids, because this one promises to draw even the meekest of freshmen out from their dorm rooms.

SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 25: If you like your “geetars” loud and your pie eatin’ messy, then boy, do we have the show for you. For the city slicker in us all, the Los Angeles County Fair brings ZZ Top to the Pomona Fairplex tonight at 8. Complete with livestock, carnival rides and deep-fried everything; we encourage you to make a day of this one. Tickets range from $22.50 to $100 and do not include fair admission.

MONDAY SEPTEMBER 26: Warped Tour darlings Story of the Year take a swing at a headlining tour tonight at the Ventura Theatre. Accompanied by the angst-filled youngsters of Funeral for a Friend, Anberlin and He Is Legend, this show aims to have you pumping your fist and screaming along in no time. Tickets are $10 at the door and the raucous begins at 7 p.m. sharp.

TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 27: Folk music icon Emmylou Harris and country connoisseur Buddy Miller breeze into town tonight at 8 for a special engagement at the Arlington Theatre. Featuring two of the most renowned names in music history, this show promises to be an amazing one. And with tickets discounted over 50 percent for UCSB students (a steal at $25), thanks to our friends at Arts & Lectures, we can’t see why you’d let this pass you by.

WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 28: Topping off your week of wonderful brought to you by the event-planning staff here at Artsweek, tonight Henry Rollins takes the stage at SOhO. The ex-Black Flag frontman never seems at a loss for words, and tonight promises to be no exception. The show marks the kickoff of Rollins’ 2005 spoken word tour and is guaranteed to be intriguing and insightful to say the least. Story time with Uncle Henry begins at 9 p.m. and more information is available at www.sohosb.com.