Santa Barbara County firefighters tackled a blaze in a Goleta apartment complex Saturday morning that left one unit in ruins but spared the rest of the nearby buildings.

Firefighters from several stations responded to reports of a structure fire at 10 Magnolia Ave., a cluster of apartments located near the intersection of Hollister and Fairview Avenues in Goleta. Shortly after receiving the call, which came in at 10:16 a.m. Saturday, an engine company from Station 14 on Los Carneros Road arrived at the scene to find one of the second-floor apartments completely engulfed in flames.

Santa Barbara County Fire Dept. spokesman Joe Guzzardi said the fire had blown out the windows on both sides of the building and was threatening to spread to the adjacent units. He said the first firefighters to respond immediately began to contain the blaze on two fronts.

Guzzardi said the blaze was extinguished within approximately 15 minutes of the time firefighters arrived on the scene, and only caused minor damage to the walls of the units on either side of the involved.

“They made an aggressive attack on the fire from both sides and were able to contain it within one unit,” Guzzardi said.

If not for the quick action taken by the fire crews, Guzzardi said the blaze could have easily caused a great deal more damage. He said he estimates the apartment complex contained as many as 50 to 60 separate units.

“That was the main concern, that it was going to spread to the rest of the complex,” Guzzardi said.

Guzzardi said the cause of the fire is still under investigation, but he said it appears to have started in the living room area of the house. He said the American Red Cross was on hand shortly after the fire was extinguished to assist the displaced victims and has arranged for alternative lodging for them.