A recently formed on-campus student group is hoping to get a running start by hosting its first-ever event tonight: a dance designed to blend individual differences into a common color.

Joining All Cultures Together (JACT) and 21 other campus groups are sponsoring a White Linen Dance in the UCen Hub from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. The event costs $5 per person, but is free to anyone dressed in white. Alexandria Filer, JACT president, said the group chose white for the dance’s color because it represents the combination of all colors.

“The color white is to remind us that although we are all different, we are still connected because we are all one people,” Filer said.

Filer said JACT was officially chartered in Winter Quarter 2005 and currently has about 20 members.

Co-sponsorships of the JACT dance come from a variety of campus organizations, including sororities and fraternities, ethnic clubs, the Resident Halls Association and other cultural groups. The co-sponsors helped advertise the event to their organization’s members and around campus, Filer said.

“It’s a great way to show that we’re connected to lots of groups,” Alpha Phi marketing chair Amy Miller said. “We’re part of different things in the community and campus, and we extend ourselves beyond the greek community.”

JACT was created to help integrate cultural groups on campus and foster diversity, Filer said.

“We were founded because we realized that there’s a lot of diversity on campus, but most groups stick to themselves and we wanted to bring people together,” Filer said.

Some campus organizations opposed the formation of JACT, but Filer said she felt the existence of her group was justified.

“When we formed, there was opposition from some campus organizations because there were already multicultural groups and they thought we should help them,” Filer said. “But I think that if a lot of organizations have similar goals, they’re more likely to be achieved.”

As of Thursday evening, 140 people have RSVP’d to the party on Thefacebook, a popular social networking website for college students. Filer said she expects the Hub to be filled to capacity because the event’s 21 co-sponsors are each expected to attend with 30 people.

“Hopefully people from all these different groups and from all over campus will come out to the event, meet new people, and mix it up,” she said.