Neither rain nor snow could stop the UCSB softball team from taking two out of three from Utah State this weekend. The Gauchos, who improved to 19-14 overall and 5-4 in the Big West Conference, won the series with 9-4 and 11-3 wins after dropping Saturday’s first contest 2-9.

In Saturday’s first game, sophomore second baseman Kendra Singley and freshman infielder Danielle Meyers plated two Gauchos in the top of the fourth to break open a scoreless game. Utah struck back in its half of the inning, batting around almost two times to bring in nine runs, seven of which were scored with two outs. Gaucho starter sophomore Jenn Davis was pitching during an eight-run spree, but was responsible for only one of the runs.

A break in the weather allowed the Gauchos and Aggies (10-23 overall, 2-10 Big West) to play Saturday’s originally scheduled doubleheader on Sunday. The Aggies were up 3-1 in the second game when Meyers smacked a solo shot to bring the Gauchos within one run, and she would go on to add a three-run dinger in the sixth to give UCSB a 7-4 advantage and put the Gauchos up for good. Sophomore Lindsey Sommer pitched a complete game, giving up three earned runs on six hits, fanning nine.

Three Gauchos homered Sunday in a season-high 11-run barrage against Utah’s pitching staff. In addition to putting Santa Barbara on the board first with a second-inning home run, Davis got the win for UCSB, striking out 12 and giving up three runs on six hits to improve to 11-7 overall.

Senior first baseman Lindsey Herrin helped Davis’ cause by driving in two runs in the top of the third on her eighth home run of the year. Sophomore outfielder Jessica Hejna had her turn in the bottom of the fourth when she belted one over the center field fence to put Santa Barbara up 6-0. With only two hits before the bottom of the sixth, the Aggies tried to mount an offensive, scoring three runs before UCSB officially took the game on the mercy rule.

The Gauchos will return to action in the friendly confines of Campus Diamond on Saturday for a doubleheader against UC Davis at noon.