Thursday 7

Whenever a film is described as “uncompromising,” you know it is going to be edgy and cool, and you can loudly state, “Yeah that’s right… I saw that.” Don’t let the name fool you, “Head On” is a love story about two lost Turks in Hamburg, Germany. Widely popular on the film festival circuit, “Head On” won the 2004 European Film award for best film and plays tonight in Campbell Hall at 7:30. Admission is $6, $5 for students. For more info check out www.artsandlectures.ucsb.edu. Tonight, the MultiCultural Center will host “A&R: Artists and Representation,” a show exhibiting graduate and undergrad student artwork. The art and artists come from a variety of social and racial backgrounds. Their artwork will be judged and prizes given to the top three finalists. The show starts at 8 p.m. at the MultiCultural Center Lounge. Admission is free to all, but space is limited. Have questions? Contact Graciela Fernandez at 893-8411.

Friday 8

They’re break-dance fighting! Tonight the cult comedy “Zoolander” comes to I.V. Theater. Staring Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Will Ferrel and yes, Billy Zane, this comedy details the world of male modeling. Proclaiming that “wetness is the essence of beauty.” There are two showings at 7:30 and 10 p.m. Tickets are $5, $3 for students with ID. Find out more at http://aspb.as.ucsb.edu/films.html. Tonight, Raagmala presents Pandit Vishwa Mohan Bhatt. This Grammy Award-winning musician has developed his own technique of playing classical music on a modified guitar, which he calls the Mohan Veena. Accompanying him is tabla player Subhen Chatterjee. Sure to be a fascinating night of intriguing music, the concert starts at 7 p.m. at the Lotte Lehmann Concert Hall. Students $15, general $25. Please call Sukhvinder Kaur at 895-0443 for more information.

Saturday 9

Calling all you hep cats out there! The San Francisco Jazz Collective has blessed us with its first-rate bebop sounds for one night only. Featuring sax extraordinaire Josh Redman trumpeter Nicholas Payton, vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson and pianist Renee Rosnes, this awesome musical powerhouse is not to be missed. The doors of Campbell Hall open at 8 p.m. Tickets are $45, $19 for students. Be there or be square. On the other side of campus, the Dramatic Art Dept. continues its Spring Dance Concert tonight. Directed by the capable Tonia Shimin, the show will start at 8 p.m. in Hatlen Theatre. Please call 893-3535 to purchase tickets over the phone. Prices are $17.00 for general, $13.00 for students, seniors and faculty.

Sunday/ Monday

Haven’t satisfied your thirst for jazz yet? Well, try switching to blues. Tommy Castro and his band will perform tonight at SOhO. Relax to the sweet sounds of others’ pain as only the blues can help you do. While you are kicking back, take advantage of SOhO’s menu and full bar. The show starts Sunday at 8:30 p.m. There is no cover charge, but take a pause for the cause to support your local music scene. SOhO is located upstairs at 1221 State St. For more information, please call 962-7776 or visit www.sohosb.com. Monday, author Barbara Ehrenreich will give a lecture on her latest book Nickel and Dimed. This talk will examine the lives of the working poor presented by the UCSB Women’s Center. Campbell Hall will open at 8 p.m. Tickets are $8 for students, $10 general.

Tuesday

“If you believe in love at first sight, you never stop looking.” One of the most critically acclaimed and sensuous movies of last year, “Closer” will be playing tonight at I.V. Theater. Starring Julia Roberts, Jude Law, Natalie Portman and the hunky Clive Owen, this portrait of two couples’ infidelity examines the most hurtful moments of being in love. The film will be screened at 7:30 and 10 p.m. Tickets are $5 and $3 for students with ID. More details can be had at http://aspb.as.ucsb.edu/films.html. Artists, poets and DJs – oh my! The MultiCultural Center presents the Asian American Artists Showcase. As the name implies, this event will feature creators from all facets of the art world discussing how their work deconstructs Asian stereotypes. Admission is free to all. The showcase will take place at MultiCultural Center at 7 p.m.

Wednesday

Who doesn’t love men in tights? If you are one of the millions who does, check out the Australian Dance Theatre performing tonight at the Lobero Theatre. The dance company will be performing its latest piece, titled “Birdbrain,” an original twist on the ballet “Swan Lake.” The Aussies have added a pulsating score, athleticism and wit to create a no-compromise virtuosic work that has delighted audiences from Scotland to Singapore. The Lobero Theatre is located at 33 E. Canon Perdido. Admission is $40, $20 for UCSB students. Doors open at 8 p.m. Let’s get the estrogen pumping! The Women’s Center presents a discussion on modern feminism by authors Amy Richards and Jennifer Baumgardner. They will be discussing their new book, Grassroots: A Field Guide for Feminist Activism, which addresses feminist ideals within modern society. Admission is free but space is very limited. The McCune Conference Room, HSSB 6020, will open at 7 p.m. for all those interested. For more information, please call Anna Hernandez at 893-3778.