Several people suffered minor to moderate injuries Friday night after a vehicle involved in a high-speed pursuit on Highway 101 struck a Chevrolet Suburban, causing it to roll over.

California Highway Patrol officers attempted to stop a red Honda Civic that was traveling in excess of 80 miles per hour at 11:30 p.m. Rather than pulling over, the Civic accelerated to speeds of 90 to 100 mph and continued southbound, using all traffic lanes to pass other vehicles. Another CHP unit joined in the pursuit.

According to police, the suspect used the center median to pass traffic near Milpas Road. Near the South Padaro Lane exit in Carpinteria, the suspect used the median again to pass a white Chevrolet Suburban driving in the fast lane. The suspect made a sudden right turn into the lane and struck the front of the Suburban, which was carrying five people. The driver of the Suburban lost control and the vehicle spun into the number two lane and rolled across the freeway. It came to a rest on its roof on the right shoulder of the highway.

The suspect vehicle continued southbound toward Santa Clause Lane, where a third CHP unit deployed a spike strip that blew out two of the Civic’s tires. The vehicle continued for approximately half a mile before stopping on the right shoulder.

The suspect was identified as 29-year-old Alex Martinez, a resident of Moss Landing, Calif. Martinez attempted to flee the scene before CHP officers arrested him for hit and run.

The driver and one passenger of the Suburban suffered minor injuries during the incident. One passenger sustained moderate injuries and two others were uninjured. One CHP officer sustained minor injuries to his right knee in the effort to take Martinez into custody.