The UCSB men’s tennis team is on a roll – a roll that will likely take it right out of the national rankings.

The #74 Gauchos (2-6 overall) were defeated three times this weekend, falling to the University of Portland 5-2 on Friday, #43 Boise State 6-1 Saturday and #55 Oregon 6-1 Sunday.

“The losses were a bit demoralizing,” Head Coach Marty Davis said. “We knew this part of our schedule would be challenging and filled with rough spots. But things are still early and there is lots of time to improve.”

The Pilots (2-1) took two of the three doubles matches on Friday. Junior Hagen Brody and freshman Anders Dalskov, playing at #3 doubles, were the only pair of Gauchos to net a victory. Dalskov earned UCSB a point, winning his singles set 6-3, 6-3, while senior Leo Basica was the only other Gaucho to contribute, winning 6-3, 6-4. Senior Alex Anselme was able to steal a set from #111 Matthew Loucks but eventually fell 6-3, 6-7, 6-0.

UCSB was swept in doubles against Boise State (9-1), and Dalskov again earned the Gauchos a point by winning his singles set 6-4, 6-3. No other Gaucho won a set in singles play.

Dalskov and Brody won again at #3 doubles against the Ducks on Sunday, but both the #1 and #2 doubles pairs lost, giving Oregon the doubles point. Brody also won at #6 singles, giving the Gauchos their only point of the day. Sophomore Elad Stern was the only other Gaucho to win a set, at #2 singles 6-0, 4-6, 6-3.

UCSB was still playing without injured junior Nick Brotman, and Anselme missed the match against Oregon. The two were All-Big West selections for UCSB last year.

“I would have been alarmed had we lost by these scores with Alex and Nick in there,” Davis said. “Doubles without Nick isn’t the same. Flying up and then playing a match on the same day was a scheduling error on my part. The most important thing is that it is still early.”

Next weekend UCSB travels to Davis and Berkeley.

“From here on out we should be winning,” Davis said. “The difficult stretch of our schedule is behind us. We are still in good shape for Big West play. We will be able to gain some momentum before the season starts.”

The Gauchos are currently on a six-game losing streak and will most likely cease to be of the top 75 teams in the country.