The #67 UCSB men’s tennis team began the 2005 season by defeating Claremont Mudd and the University of San Francisco on Saturday.

Santa Barbara started the day by sweeping the Stags 7-0. UCSB began on a roll, earning the doubles point by winning all three matches. The Gauchos then used their momentum to win all six singles matches without losing a set.

“Claremont Mudd is one of the best Division III schools in the country,” Head Coach Marty Davis said. “To beat them without losing a set at this point in the season tells me a lot about our team.”

Senior Alex Anselme, who filled the #1 singles slot, won both sets 6-4 while earning a win at #2 doubles as well. Freshman Anders Dalskov was impressive in his debut, winning the #5 singles matchup and #2 doubles.

The second school UCSB downed was the Dons 6-1. Sophomore Elad Stern and senior Leo Basica trailed 4-1 in their doubles match but came from behind to win 8-6. The Gauchos won all three doubles matches for the second time.

The only blemish for the Gauchos was Dalskov’s performance in #5 singles. After losing the first set 6-2, Dalskov forced a tiebreaker with Don junior Rafael Corazza. Up 10-9, Corazza lost a point but thought Dalskov had run into the net. After a few minutes of arguing with the umpire, Corazza settled down and won the next two points and the match, the only point lost for UCSB on the day.

Davis was pleased that his team could win so convincingly, especially twice in one day.

“We played great in the morning and even better in the afternoon. Overall, I saw nothing but positives,” Davis said. “Both doubles and singles were exceptional. We were a little fortunate to play San Francisco without their top two players making the trip, but it was an impressive win.”

Winning the doubles matches was one of the Gauchos’ goals, and they came through, winning all six and earning two points.

“Me and Ivan [d’Argence] are really aggressive on doubles and mix well,” junior Nick Brotman said. “I think we’ll be a good fit at #1 singles this year and next.

“Coach has been pushing us, especially when it comes to fitness. We had no problem starting the season off with a doubleheader and are really pleased with winning the way we did.”

Next up for the Gauchos is perennial powerhouse UCLA on Tuesday. UCSB will not play another home match until March 9.

“We expect to learn some lessons on this long trip,” Davis said. “But by the time we return home we’ll be ready for Big West play and the chance to win the conference.”