Senior Lindsay Dalonzo and sophomore Jennifer Schwalb took first place in two events for Santa Barbara but were unable to hold back the strength of Pacific, losing 168-94. The men fared better, however, and ended the day with a 154-108 victory over the Tigers on Saturday at Campus Pool.

Santa Barbara struggled in the women’s freestyle events as it has all year, with the Tigers winning the top three spots in the 50-yard, 100 and 1,000 and taking the top two in the 500 and 200.

The men matched up much better, with UCSB freshman Brooks Felton winning the 1,000 free with a time of 9:32.81, just shy of his best time of 9:32.23. Sophomores Brent Nolan and Jason Hardy followed Felton.

“The time was right on my personal best,” Felton said. “But more than that, it was nice that we could go one, two and three like that. It’s nice to make a strong opening statement like that.”

It was the Gaucho men’s depth that was given credit for victory against the strong Pacific team.

“We talked about it in practices before the meet,” Felton said. “We realize that, in the end, the important thing isn’t the guys winning events, but the guys who are getting third and fourth instead of fifth and sixth that are going to make the difference.”

Sophomore Pat Cary, who finished first in the 100 and 200 fly, contributed 18 points to the Gaucho total. Cary returned to his strong events for the dual meet after swimming in the 100 freestyle and 200 IM against the weaker competition of Davis on Jan. 15.

“[Pacific was] a bigger challenge than Davis was, so I got moved back to my strong events,” Cary said. “They have a bunch of seniors who are pretty good. They have a fast team.”

For the women, the challenges came from younger swimmers, with Pacific freshman Ziada Jardine finishing first in both the 100 and 200 breaststroke. Both times, UCSB junior Jennifer Cook trailed Jardine closely.