Isla Vista Foot Patrol officers responded to an incident in which a UCSB student was slashed with a knife early Sunday morning, arresting the assailant within minutes of the assault.

At around 12:51 a.m., IVFP deputies patrolling the 6600 block of Sabado Tarde Road stopped to investigate an argument between two men, one of whom had a cut on his hand. After taking statements from several witnesses present during the incident, the officers determined that the second man had inflicted the injury when he produced a knife during the argument and swiped at the victim several times before discarding the weapon.

Sgt. Alex Tipolt of the IVFP, one of the deputies who responded to the incident, said the police had been 50 yards away from the site of the altercation when it occurred. He said they arrested the suspect, 21-year-old Gabriel Holtrusmore of San Diego, without incident.

“It was just a simple verbal argument that escalated into physical violence,” Tipolt said. “The whole incident was over very quickly.”

Tipolt said the victim, a 21-year-old UCSB student whose name is currently being withheld, was transported to Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital, where he was treated for his injury and released.