Beam me up Scotty — to the NCAA Sweet 16 that is.

The UCSB men’s soccer team is saying exactly that, after taking a 2-1 double-overtime victory from University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in the second round of the NCAA playoffs last night. The win sends the Gauchos on to the Sweet 16 for the second straight year.

Senior defender Pat Scott took a deflection on a corner kick by senior defender Tony Lochhead and buried it in the back of the net to give UCSB its third NCAA tournament victory in as many years.

The goal, scored two minutes into the second overtime period, was the first of Scott’s college career, and gave the Gauchos their fifth victory in six overtime games this season.

“It felt really good because I felt like I was somewhat responsible for the goal that they scored,” Scott said. “So, I was glad to be the one to score it.”

In front of a crowd of 2,520 fans, the Gauchos (18-2-1 overall) controlled the ball for most of the match, holding Milwaukee to just seven shots in 102 minutes.

UCSB got on the board first, in the 28th minute. On the Gauchos’ second corner kick of the night, Lochhead found junior forward Jonathan Davis ok in front of the goal. Davis sacrificed his body, laying out for the diving header and the goal to put UCSB up 1-0.

The Panthers (14-5-3) survived a number of Gaucho scoring opportunities attempts through the rest of the first half. Milwaukee sophomore goalkeeper Eric Mickschl was forced to make four saves and faced nine UCSB shots in the first frame.

Senior forward Antou Jallow evened the score with just 13 minutes remaining in the second half. Sophomore forward Dale Weiler received the ball on the left flank and placed a cross into the box at the near post for Jallow. Unofficially, the ball hit off of Lochhead for a own goal.

“Actually [Lochhead] was in great position but the ball just kind of skipped up off the grass and hit [Lochhead] and actually went in,” senior goalkeeper Danny Kennedy said.

The loss snapped the Panthers’ 11-game win streak, the longest current streak in Division I men’s soccer. UCSB extended its current streak to seven straight.

The Gauchos now advance to take on University of North Carolina-Greensboro, the #8 seed, at Greensboro this Sunday at 2 p.m. EST.