Twenty minutes into UCSB’s game against University of Nevada, Las Vegas, the game was scoreless. Three minutes later, the score was 3-0. It took the Gaucho men’s soccer team only three minutes and three shots to turn a stout defensive battle into a drumming en route to a 4-0 victory.

On the attack, senior forward Neil Jones sent a header to senior forward Drew McAthy, who softly chipped the ball over UNLV goalie Peter Clitheroe’s head.

“We came out a little slow but then we really got it going,” McAthy said.

Barely a minute later, McAthy headed the ball past Clitheroe again after a cross from senior midfielder Matt Bly. McAthy just missed a hat trick three minutes after UCSB’s initial goal when a melee in front of the net left Clitheroe on his back. McAthy sent a bicycle kick into the neck, the Gauchos celebrated and a raucous crowd cheered on the second hat trick in as many games, but it was later discovered at halftime that senior forward Neil Jones had actually deflected the ball into the goal.

“It might have grazed his hip or something; those two may decide and argue whether or not,” Head Coach Tim Vom Steeg said. “Either way, it was a spectacular shot.”

Jones denied his teammate a hat trick two nights after McAthy got the honor.

“I got three open looks,” McAthy said. “It’s all good – we’re both getting on the board. I still got the assist.”

Jones continued his offensive tear when, in the 58th minute, sophomore forward Tino Nu