A planned public theater on campus will be known as Pollock Theater in honor of a Santa Barbara family that contributed $2 million to the project.

Joseph and Helene Pollock’s March 11 donation brings the total raised so far to $5.75 million, with a goal of $10 million for the fully privately funded construction of the Center for Film, Television and New Media. Construction on the center, which will include the 225-seat theater, a film production suite and climate-controlled film and television and archival space, is expected to begin in 2005.

“Our family’s interest in film education at UCSB has been ongoing,” Joseph Pollock, a retired physician and former president of the Santa Barbara International Film Festival, said in a press release. “My goal of having a public film theater on campus that would enhance teaching and public viewing of new and archival films will finally be realized. I am excited to see it reach fruition.”

Past contributions to the center include a $2.5 million gift from television producer Marcy Carsey and $1 million from actor Michael Douglas.

“We are proud to have the Pollock family associated with UCSB in this meaningful way,” Chancellor Henry Yang said in a press release. “Joe and Helene’s visionary commitment to the campus is simply extraordinary.”